23 April 2008

England's most patriotic town?

According to the BBC Morley may just be the must patriotic town in all of England. Whether or not this is the case I'm in no position to judge, but it does highlight an issue I've always wondered about: patriotism. Here in the states it's much more intense than I've seen in Europe. In Finland I always loved the holidays because it meant that flags would be flown and that was a rare sight. Here flags are out every day of the year and, provided lights shine on them, night too. You see it EVERYWHERE and patriotism has even more recently taken the form of a magnet people put on their car. So I'm wondering what I'll encounter in England. I somehow doubt patriotism will be as laid back as Finland, but don't think it will be as intense as it is stateside. Unlike Finland, England at least has international soccer teams that the country can rally for... So we'll see. Any predictions on what I'll find? And what's the fascination with St. George? Bulgaria was the same way...

4 comments:

marishamunchkin said...

Have you never heard me talk about this matter before?! St George killed a dragon!!! Patron saint of England and yesterday was St George's day- barely noticed by the English though, nothing like St Patrick's day, which is your answer for patriotism. Speaking from experience of both cultures and a stereotype of America ;-) I'd say we're way more relaxed than the Finnish. I found them to be a proud nation. The Brits don't care (on the whole) unless there's a football match and there's that much rivalry between different places in the UK- just don't expect to see any flags basically j.

Jaska said...

well i know who saint george is, i just don't know what's so great about slaying a "dragon" to make him such an iconocized figure! and i you do know more for direct finland vs. england comparison, but let me just say I've never seen a chair with the finnish flag all over it!

marishamunchkin said...

a chair doesn't make you patriotic!! what's not great about slaying a dragon?! when was the last time you slayed one :-p

Jaska said...

As soon as I find one I'll let you know! How hard can it be?