23 May 2008

Hit the ground running

Yesterday on the bus I was reading my latest issue of Men's Health and two of the articles in particular caught my attention. The first was about the benefits of fasting one day a week (actually makes a good case for it!), and the second concerned a sleeping pattern reportedly used by DaVinci among others where one sleeps 20 minutes every four hours instead of 8ish hours a night and still functions at peak level. The case for that isn't as convincing.

Anyway, as I was checking the headlines this morning the two topics have collided and can potentially be put to good use for travels this summer (and all future trans-timezone flights). Apparently by fasting 16 hours pre-flight one can prevent jet lag by throwing the brain out of it's comfort level an into a different mode where the circadian clocks that generally control our sleep schedule are knocked down in priority. If this really works, it'll be awesome!

I'll let you know how it goes...